I married a man obsessed with anything spicy and in my opinion...life ruining.
I mean, are his insides burned or can he even taste the food with all that hot sauce?
But I like him so, I experimented last night with this dish, and it was a winner. From start to finish this came together is just under 30 minutes, the perfect combo-quick and nutrient dense. I quickly made my own Cajun seasoning to skip all the anti-caking agents in the store-bought kind, meaning you can customize this dish to your liking and leave the cayenne pepper on the table for those who wish to punish themselves.
In our house we have used the number scale for a while now and boy does it save me from torturing the Grizz. It goes like this:
1= please don’t make this again
10= I’d like to have this weekly
It may seem strange to some but, it makes my life and meal planning much easier knowing he isn’t giving me the obligatory “I love everything you make” façade. Honestly, I married the last nice guy around. He would lie to my face over food. He is a simple dude, and he loves the fact that someone is cooking for him so, he will eat anything, but I want him to also enjoy it. This meal got a 9 from the Grizz and an approval from my heat-resistant kiddos too (PS kids don't give number votes in our house). They cleaned their bowl, gulped down some raw milk to cool their palates and then happily went back for seconds.
Cajun sausage and cauliflower rice
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 link grass-fed kielbasa sausage
(I found mine at Costco, but Aidells is a good choice too), sliced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 cups green beans, quartered
1 whole yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves (or more) of garlic, diced
2 pounds riced cauliflower
2-4 TBSP Cajun seasoning* (completely customizable)
1 tsp. ghee, lard or other heat stable cooking fat.
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 TBSP of each oregano, smoked paprika, granulated garlic, onion powder,
½ TBSP thyme
½- ¾ TBSP cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground black pepper
Optional add ins:
Paleo friendly Worcestershire sauce, find the recipe here (I omit the dates)
1. Melt fat of choice and heat sausage on medium temperature until browned to your liking.
2. Add all chopped and diced veggies except cauliflower rice. Cover to lightly steam and soften green beans.
3. After about 10 minutes (cooking time may vary) uncover, add ½ desired Cajun seasoning and a dash of sea salt.
4. Add in defrosted cauliflower rice, remaining ½ of Cajun seasoning and stir to combine.
5. At this point I added in some paleo-friendly sauce for that umami flavor. This step in my opinion is necessary for flavor but not going to make or break your dinner.
6. Once combined and heated through (about an additional 5 minutes) pull off of heat, top with Louisiana hot sauce, and enjoy!